Saturday, August 29, 2009

More Moscow

***UPDATE: All Moscow posts now have picture slideshows, so scroll back down!***

The other day we went to the VDNKh ("vay day en khah"), the Memorial Cosmonautics Museum (which was closed, but neat sculptures outside) and then the Agricultural wonderment place right next door. I'll try to find out the name of this joint and fill it in here later. ***UPDATE: Name is the VDNKh and PIX!***



Today was my last day off in Moscow since the STS-128/17A mission launched this morning (Moscow morning), yay! Chris and I went to Tsarytsino and saw the amazing grounds of the Imperial summer home of Catherine the Great - though she never lived at the place (see link for details)! Beautifully architected buildings and grounds, quite the sight to see! We also went to Novodivechy Convent and Cemetery which we walked around the outside and inside. Really neat buildings and again, hte architecture here is phenomenal!

I must say that there was an ABUNDANCE of weddings going on today - probably every Saturday in the summer. It was interesting to see their dresses - a lot of creams - and to note that the bride, groom and "wedding party" traveled with them to take all their pictures. The biggest difference was that this wedding party was comprised of people dressed like they were going to their friend's weddings and also included family, from what I could tell. No matchy-matchy, just a band of friends and family tagging along to share in their experience with them. Seriously, I think we probably saw at least 20 brides today. Beautiful day for a wedding (or at least wedding pictures).

Lastly we trekked back to Red Square and went inside of St. Basil's Cathedral. It is a collection of 9 teensy-weensy churches all in one building. Cool stuff, though construction was going on in many of the areas. One quirky thing to note: The first, ground-floor church we went into had a lady in a smock (looking like one of the maid people) standing on a little wooden stool PAINTING (touch-up style) the mural on the wall! What the heck people? That kinda defeats the purpose of the "old style" and history of the cathedral if you ask me...so bizarre! I wonder if they do that in a lot of places? Something to think about :D

All in all it was a great day (beautiful weather again!) and I am glad the shuttle slipped enough that I could be here to have another day off. I will upload pix soon - I hope :) ***UPDATE: PIX!***

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You snuck some pics of me I didn't now about! I did the same of you O.o Great shots Jaime.