Sunday, December 12, 2010

Craftiness Part 2 - Glidey and Otto

Last post I mentioned the fun stuff I got from my friend, two items of which needed a little luvin' to make our house their home. Each project had its own challenges, so in true Jaime form I tackled the easier of the two projects first: recovering the glider set in a fabric to suit my taste.

The ottoman (named Otto) was easy enough to re-cover in swanky new duds. I just unscrewed Otto's top (the cushion) from the base, covered it with new fabric, stapled it on there like a maniac, and screwed Otto's top back on to the base. Simple! I didn't see the need to unstaple the old fabric, so I just covered right over it. Actually, to be straight with you, I tried pulling the 57,000 staples out and hurt my hands and fingers all along the way. So, after only 5 successful staple pullings in what seemed like an hour, I theraputically smashed them back into their staple holes and decided to perform a "cover-over-cover" method. Worked out fine, yay me!

With Otto sitting happily in his newfound swankiness, I was feeling quite proud of my craftiness and felt the motivation to continue on and re-cover the back padding of Glidey the Glider. Yes, everything gets a name in my house. This way I don't have to remember the real names of the things in my house, I can call them almost anything!

The original backing for Glidey was a bit trickier, two-fold. 1. I was running low on fabric, since I didn't fully prepare for this project and just bought "enh....a few yards should do the trick, right?" of fabric. I didn't realize how big the backing was. 2. The shape of the backing isn't a simple shape like a rectangle that even I could handle, it was more of a seashell shape with a flare toward the top AND it looked like it had been covered with the original fabric, sewn straight on top to make pretty seams and slice it into 3 pieces.

Hmmmm, I thought, how was I going to do this? I wanted to keep the fun seam action, but there was no way I was going to sew right through that thick foam with my measley machine. My plan of attack was to cut 6 sections of fabric to represent each "slice" on each side. Sew those guys together, then sew the sides together, slipcover that backing and stitch the bottom. Good plan, Me. Good plan... EXCEPT, as everyone knows about Me and crafts I get impatient and then sloppy. SOOOOOO, the first side had wonky seams and was too big, but the second side had even WONKIER seams but fit just right. Too frustrated to care anymore, I sewed those babies to each other, jammed the cushion inside the cover and hand sewed the bottom of the cover closed. Professional? Oh lordy no! Cuter than it was and functional? Yes sir!

After a little happy dance, I sat in Glidey and rested my feet on Otto's head with a smile on my face. Goooooooooo Me!

Glidey and Otto Before and After contained in slideshow. What do you think?

1 comment:

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Looks great, very impressed with all your craftiness! I just bought a sewing machine from Costco and now I just look at it and don't know what to do with it... I know I want to make pillow cases for our couch throw pillows... and one day a quilt but I have no idea where to start.