Monday, May 12, 2008

JT & DC

Well, I am back from my weekend visiting Jenny T in DC! We had such a good time! DC is beautiful and even though it was rainy (especially on Sunday!), we had the best time ever. My flight got in late Thursday night (midnight?) to Baltimore, ~60 mins from JT's house. It was super stormy and I thought the plane was taking a nose dive into BWI on the way in, but I made it safely on the ground and to JT's house no problemo. Needless to say, Jenny's hands were sore the next day from gripping the steering wheel so tight ;)

Friday Jenny had to work a 1/2 day, so when she got home we went shopping at IKEA and a few other stores to spruce up her place a little bit. After shopping, buying a mirror that was too big to fit in her car, returning the mirror 7 mins after buying it (and laughing the whole way) and setting off to Alexandria (right Jen?), we were starving! We had some delicious Indian food and then went to Murphy's pub for a little Irish song and drink. A band called "Ceann" was playing and Jenny and I saddled up to a table right in front of the band! my favorite song wavers between "Pretty on the Inside" and "Blame the Viking", although "Butt Tattoo" and "Whiskey Hurts My Tummy" (an ode for Charlie) come in pretty close behind. What a hoot! There were only 3 guys playing, one of whom was wearing a white fleece that JT couldn't stand and playing a ukulele electric guitar. They were phenomenal and we had such a good time. Our throats were sore from screaming with and over the music as it played, but it was worth it. As we were leaving and the band took a break, Jenny and I went up to buy a CD. We talked (well JT mostly did cuz I'm shy...yeah) with the lead singer guy, I accused him of being Canadian and sounding like Bare Naked Ladies (well, they do, in a good way!) and I bought a CD. He graciously gave us their 2nd CD free of charge, thanks to Jenny's schmoozing (and probably to get me off his back :). What a great night!


The next day after sleeping in, Jenny and I decorated her house all day long. She cooked a fantastic breakfast and then we didn't eat again until we had awesome burgers at Five Guys Burgers. Holy crumbs it was delish! Burgers and homemade, straight-from-the-potato fries. Can't beat it! We went to Reston Town Center in search of a bar serving delicious pineapple upside-down cake martinis...that incidentally no longer exists (oops). We instead had a drink at the Market Street Bar and Grill and then headed home for an evening of Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd (enhhhhh, it was fine) and chit-chatting on the couch.


Sunday came all too soon and we spent the latter half of the day walking around downtown DC. We saw the Jefferson Memorial, the Capitol, the Washington Monument, the Portrait Gallery (with all the fancy presidential portraits...we even did a classic waltz (Jenny was the boy & I was the girl) at Abe Lincoln's inaugural ball), and then the White House. Before we hit ol' G.W.'s residence, we ate some delish Tapas at Jaleo. I had to convince Jenny to try the bacon-wrapped dates, but boy oh boy was she ever glad she did! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... It was pouring rain by the time we had to head back to the car and stop by the White House - our jeans were soaked, but our spirits were still high :) We took some pics and then headed to BWI. I changed jeans in the car on the way there, hoping we wouldn't get stopped by the po-lice. We made it without much fanfare.


In the end, it was a glorious weekend with my best friend and I wouldn't have spent it any other way!


Thanks so much Jen, love you!

No comments: