Monday, August 25, 2008

SSIPC - To Work!

Monday was the first day at work at the JAXA Space Center. I got some really good 8.5-9 hrs of sleep the night before (after a fizz-bomb bath and 2-page book read), had a nice breakfast at the hotel and then our group hopped in taxis to get to the center.

Once our quick badging process was complete, we got a quick tour of the facility including their version of Mission Control Center and then had meetings the rest of the day. We did have lunch at their cafeteria and I had a beef and salad thing, with some soup and a fishstick - it was good and cheap! I'm glad to see that I'll be able to eat lunch each day and enjoy it :) After work, we walked home, stopped by the grocery store on the way & bought some crummy wine (I didn't know!). By the way, I will be walking 30 minutes to and from work each day, in the rain. I could take a taxi, but the walk is nice and it's not usually raining all that hard.

After I got changed for sushi dinner ops that night, Kieth, Todd and I had a little pre-drinky before dinner. It was pretty funny - predrinking for dinner while trying to watch Superbad on Todd's computer. Good times all around :) About 14 of us (all but 1 from our group) went to dinner at one of those places where you sit on the floor on a cushion and had some sushi. We had sake, wine and another "hooch" drink called sho-chu (along with the supplemental water) and each ate our mysterious sushi. Todd thinks I ate a beef one (gross), but I didn't know about that...so I'll pretend I didn't. Kieth the the exoskeleton and heads off of some deep-friend, whole prawns (some antennae and all) which was disgusting, but hilarious.

After dinner some went to Karaoke, I went home to bed. Good first day :)

No comments: