Thursday, January 22, 2009

Drama

I don't think I can do drama shows anymore.

Every week I watch Grey's Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters. I love those shows to pieces. Tonight I also watched the end of Private Practice.

Everyone dies in these darn shows, or nearly so. Inevitably I weep and cry and sob some more for the sadness they must feel and the sadness I feel for them. The loss of a loved one is ridiculously difficult, from family to friends to even pets. It makes me think of my own mortality and that isn't something I frankly care to give to much thought to. Too final. Too disconcerting for me at this point in my life. Someday I will come to terms with my mortality and the mortality of my loved ones, but today is not that day.

It's gotten so bad I even cry at The Biggest Loser. Biggest-Friggin'-Loser. At least I'm not the only one. You know who you are!!

So I will continue to cry at television shows, movies, commercials and all things sad, endearing, kind, compassionate and so forth, since I feel that at least most of my crying comes from a healthy place in my psyche. Maybe next week will bring brighter days for my entertainment viewing, though I'll make sure to have a shirtsleeve handy just in case my mascara starts to run...