Sunday, February 3, 2008

To Germany...Again

Today is Superbowl Sunday and I am busy doing laundry, packing clothes, eating leftover porkchops with curry couscous and delaying the inevitable, dreaded homework that awaits me.

Tomorrow I head to Munich for work for about 2 weeks. "Ooooh, Munich!" they say. Yes, Munich was great back in December with all of the Christmas Markets and fun times to be had - of that, there is no doubt. This time around, however, I know we are going to launch that darned space shuttle and it will be all work, no play. Especially since I will be working the 2am-11am shift (that's the ~7p-4a CT shift) :(

...yeah, yeah, yeah - poor Jaime gets to travel to Europe, again.
Don't get me wrong, I love to go to different places across this great planet and experience things. It is my favorite thing to dream about. But I do not consider my work trips to be "travel", necessarily. I always consider the word "travel" to mean exploration, adventure, history, culture. A life-enriching experience. Going someplace to sit in a room for 10 hours and then go home to crash out on a hotel bed isn't necessarily life-changing.

I will say that I definitely DO appreciate the opportunities given to me through my job - getting to travel at all, even better internationally, is nothing to snuff at. I enjoy it, and working abroad is an adventure all on its own. I am happy to be going abroad and Munich is a great city to be able to work in the vicinity of. As far as the "excitement" part, we'll see if I can drum some up. Now if I can only find some time in there to "travel"...it would be almost ideal :)

In any case, I plan on making the best of being somewhere special and out-of-the-ordinary. That's what life is for. Making the most out of each day we are allowed to gaze upon the beautiful blue sky, breathe in a crisp February breeze and soak in the sunshine as it kisses the apple of our cheek.

No comments: