Friday, June 13, 2008

Birdies!

When we planted our holly trees outside of our bedroom window, I was just so happy to have something green to look at I didn't think I could be any happier...until about a week ago! A bird had built a nest in the tree closest to our living room and magically placed 4 eggs in there (where did THEY come from?). Three of the four eggs hatched and little furry, ugly baby birdies emerged. Earlier this week we noticed that one of them was not slated to live in Houston this time around, but there were only two left. I took some pictures of the remaining two before nature had its way with them also, keeping in mind to stay away from them so the Mom would return...so cute! (Charlie asked me why I didn't try jamming a worm or some bugs down their throats, they "look hungry". I told him I didn't feel like purging into a baby bird beak, that's not my style.)

Yesterday, unfortunately, I came home to find a little birdie napping eternally on my patio. Looks like someone fell out of the nest and a dog happened to drag it onto the middle of the patio for display. It was in "good" shape (meaning in one piece), so Kirby probably didn't have a snack of it, but it would never wake up and fly to safety. I was so sad :( Charlie reminds me that this is how nature works and sometimes things just don't work out so perfectly the first time around. So, one bird out of four possible remains. I hope he survives and comes back to build a nest in that same tree!!

...on a side note (speaking of killer dogs), Sammie found herself a scrumptious little morsel of a young armadillo a few weeks back. She chomped him good. He seemed like he was kinda hurt, but mostly just stunned. She did draw blood from his side-tummy-armor but all of his appendages were attached and functional. Charlie donned the garden gloves and scooped up the little guy and placed him back into the forest. Yes, we hate what the armadillos do to our yard, but I just couldn't see myself hurting this one little guy. He wasn't there the next morning when we went to check on him, so he either escaped with his life or nature took care of the process.

2 comments:

Mrs. T said...

That picture of the birdie mouth is so friggin cool!

Poor little ones. i hope the 1 survives!

Sammers caught herself a dilly eh? What on earth are you gonna do with those 2 crazy critters? LOL!

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Great pictures, kinda a sad story though... nature in the works.