Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Muzak, by Charles

So it's been awhile since I've written, at least that's what Jaime tells me.

Recently, instead of buying CDs I want, I've been downloading the albums from Amazon and burning my own onto CD-Rs. It usually costs about $8 or $9 for a CD, so it's probably about $5 cheaper than getting them at the store. Plus the selection is better, I can preview the songs, and I can shop much more impulsively and in my underwear.

My latest two CDs are Weezer's latest (Red Album) and a Sawdust from the Killers.

I wasn't too impressed with the Weezer disc, and I'm kind of a Weezer fan. I once went so far as to travel to Fargo, ND to see them play the world-famous Fargodome. But anyway, they seemed to throw in a lot of new stylings into the mix, which I guess is inevitable when you've got six hundred albums out like they do. It just didn't do much for me.

I often listen to Ethel (a station) on our DirecTV-provided XM Radio. Recently I heard a song called "Tranquilize" by the Killers, and I really liked it. I didn't know they had a new album out, so I looked them up, and sho nuff, they had released a b-side type disc late last year. So I went ahead and grabbed the whole thing, and I really like the album. "Tranquilize" apparently has guest vocals from Lou Reed, who you may remember from "Walk on the Wild Side" (not the Marky Mark song), and it's a great tune. I also really like "Show You How" and "The Ballad of Michael Valentine", and there are at least three our four other good songs on there as well.

I also have their first album "Hot Fuss", and it's decent, but I don't own "Sam's Town". After this one though, it makes me want to spring for it.

Oh yeah, and I got a new job. I've got one more week with Boeing as of today. Sad to leave but happy for new opportunities.

2 comments:

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Congrats on the new job! And thanks for the heads up on the albums. We'll have to check them out on iTunes.

John said...

Congrats again on the new job. Thanks for the music review too. Now I know whose house to stop by for new music.

Marky Mark....definite early 90s music icon. He's "much" better than PM Dawn.